Wednesday 10 July 2013

Nantgaredig, Brechfa, Pontargothi

Once again, Billy No Mates as The Navigator was packing for the pointy bits in Austria.

A look at my local maps suggested a bike ride from Nantgaredig to Brechfa and a return alongside the Afon Cothi to Pontargothi and back to Nantgaredig.


The profile showed a steady climb up to Brechfa and mainly downhill on the return. Well the profile was correct, but a convenient seat in Brechfa helped the legs to recover.

It was good to see the village doing its best to keep the residents together. As I was enjoying my rest a mobile post office arrived and connected its computer to a box on a post. Across the road was a community shop and the notices on the village hall showed lots going on.

Cafe at the mountain bike centre



Brechfa Church

Back on my bike I took the first turning right and headed back with the Afon Cothi on my right all the way to Pontargothi. The river, when at the right level is a superb grade 2 paddling venue. However today it was very low with all the rocks showing.

Afon Cothi

Afon Cothi at Pontynys Wen

Afon Cothi at Pontargothi

Back at the car I looked over the stone bridge at Nantgaredig down at the equally low Afon Tywi into which the Afon Cothi runs.

Downstream on Tywi from Nantgaredig Bridge

Upstream


An enjoyable ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment